BLACKFISH Hitting the Waves on CNN
UPDATED February 15, 2014:
While continuing to shock, mesmerize, and inspire moviegoers worldwide, the documentary film BLACKFISH splashed its way onto CNN with a series of interviews, teasers, and unprecedented promotional advertising leading up to a nationwide broadcast on October 24, 2013. CNN also aired numerous encore presentations in the days that followed and the film is now available on DVD, Blu-Ray, Netflix and for download at iTunes (see below for ordering info).
After debuting at the Sundance Film Festival in 2013, this critically acclaimed film has gone on to receive praise at numerous film festivals around the globe, and has seen a successful run amid sold-out crowds in movie theaters worldwide and has raised the social consciousness about the captivity and exploitation of killer whales . “Blackfish” has been nominated for “Best Documentary” by BAFTA (British Academy Film Awards) and was short-listed by the U.S. Academy Awards for “Best Documentary”.
Brought to us in conjunction with Magnolia Pictures, CNN Films and distributed by Dogwoof, this outstanding documentary film has received rave reviews from movie critics for its exceptional work bringing the controversial yet important realities of keeping orcas in captivity to attention of millions of viewers.
About the film (from Dogwoof):
Blackfish tells the story of Tilikum, a performing killer whale that killed several people while in captivity. Along the way, director-producer Gabriela Cowperthwaite compiles shocking footage and emotional interviews to explore the creature’s extraordinary nature, the species’ cruel treatment in captivity, the lives and losses of the trainers and the pressures brought to bear by the multi-billion dollar sea-park industry.
This emotionally wrenching, tautly structured story challenges us to consider our relationship to nature and reveals how little we humans have learned from these highly intelligent and enormously sentient fellow mammals.
Watch the official film trailer below:
Did you miss the premier of CNN Film’s BLACKFISH on Thursday, October 24, 2013 and the numerous encore performances shown on CNN?
You still have a chance to see it!
In the U.S. : CNN is rebroadcasting Blackfish on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 9:00 pm, 11:00 pm & 2:00 am Eastern time (6:00, 8:00 & 11:00 pm Pacific; check your local listings). Blackfish is also available NOW on DVD & Blu-Ray! You can order HERE or at The Orca Project Store. The film can also be downloaded from iTunes and is also available on Netflix. There are also a limited number of screenings still scheduled at theaters in the U.S. Click HERE for locations and dates.
In the UK & Ireland: Blackfish aired on BBC4 on the 21st & 25th of November and is available NOW on DVD, Blu-Ray & download from iTunes. You can order HERE. There are also a limited number of screenings still scheduled at theaters in the UK.
Other International Locations: Blackfish continues to be shown at theaters and film festival screenings around the world! Click HERE for more information.
Recent interviews and reports now online:
- CNN Films: CNN’s Blackfish page with video clips, interviews & analysis
- Director-Producer Gabriela Cowperthwaite tells CNN “why she made Blackfish“
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “Can Killer Whales be in captivity safely?”
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “Blackfish’: Troubled orca’s early history”
- CNN Op-Ed by Dr. Naomi Rose: “A win-win solution for captive orcas and marine theme parks”
- CNN Video: Gabriela Cowperthwaite talks about “The truth behind orcas in captivity”
- CNN Video: Brooke Baldwin interviews the Orca Network’s Howard Garrett about Blackfish
- CNN Poll: 86% of respondents say they will not bring their family to SeaWorld (Seattle PI)
- CNN Video: Crossfire with “The Killer in the Pool” author Tim Zimmermann. (video)
- CNN Video: Special Report with AWI Marine Mammal Scientist Dr. Naomi Rose, “Blackfish” director/producer Gabriela Cowperthwaite & Jack Hannah hosted by Martin Savidge (video)
- CNN Report: Orca trainer saw best of Keiko, worst of Tilikum with former trainer Colin Baird
- CNN Polls: Courtney Vail of WDC “Loud and Clear: The Public Says ‘NO!’ to Captivity”
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “The Fallout from Blackfish: Heated debate ensues online & social networks”
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “Can killer whales safely be set free?”
Have you seen the movie and now wonder what to do? Visit our “How to Help” page and see how you can get involved and make a difference for these magnificent beings.
MANY thanks to our friends Gabriela Cowperthwaite, co-producer Manny Oteyza, associate producer Tim Zimmermann, Magnolia Pictures, CNN Films, Dogwoof, and of course… a special heartfelt THANK YOU to our dear friends… the former trainers of “Voice of the Orcas (VOTO)”, scientists, researchers, journalists and many others who helped make this game-changing film possible!